Brazil and Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar went to the Rio de Janeiro police headquarters on Thursday evening in an investigation linked to a woman’s rape allegation against him.
The Brazilian football confederation reported earlier that Neymar had received a subpoena to speak with authorities about his posting on social media of images and messages of the woman without her authorisation in possible violation of her online privacy.
“I only want to thank the support and messages that everybody sent,” said the player, who was using crutches because of his injured right ankle.
The rape case is being investigated separately in Sao Paulo, where the woman filed a formal complaint with police on Friday alleging that Neymar had raped her in a Paris hotel room on May 15. A doctor gave a statement to Sao Paulo police on Thursday about a medical examination he gave the woman.
Neymar denies any wrongdoing. After word of the woman’s allegation became known, the player shared social media posts meant to show that the woman had sent him friendly messages following the alleged rape.
Neymar departed from the Brazil national team’s hotel in the capital of Brasilia on Thursday and boarded a jet shortly afterward. He left the squad after injuring his ankle in a friendly against Qatar on Wednesday. The injury will keep him out of this summer’s Copa America.
The woman, Najila Trindade Mendes de Souza, a 26-year-old model, made her first public comments about her charge this week, telling two Brazilian television stations that Neymar raped her and engaged in “aggression,” or physical violence.
The Associated Press doesn’t name persons who might have been sexually assaulted unless they make their identities public, which Mendes de Souza did in the TV interviews.
She told Brazil’s SBT channel that Neymar became aggressive after she refused to have unprotected sex with him. She said the player had sexual intercourse with her despite her refusal and hit her repeatedly.
“I said: ‘Stop it, stop it, stop it.’ He did not communicate, he just acted,” Mendes de Souza said.
Meanwhile, a video emerged on social media Thursday night that appears to show Neymar and Mendes de Souza in a physical altercation. It is unclear how or when the video was made, and the AP had no way of verifying it.
Neymar da Silva Santos, Neymar’s father and agent, said the new video is evidence his son was set up by Mendes de Souza.
Mendes de Souza denied that during her TV appearances.
“I wouldn’t expose myself this way to take money from Neymar. There is no logic, there is no sense,” she told one interviewer.