Reception to the Proton X70 SUV has been encouraging following its official launch on December 12, with about 200 to 300 bookings being made daily. This is according to Proton Edar CEO Datuk Abdul Rashid Musa in a report by Bernama.
“Strong support has continued, and this has been the best response received by Proton for a long time,” said Abdul Rashid Musa, who also noted that over 60% of the bookings made were for the range-topping Premium 2WD variant. Since the model’s launch, over 15,000 bookings have been recorded by the national carmaker.
For now, the X70 is being sold as a fully imported (CBU) model from China, and is available in four variants with prices starting from RM99,800. Local assembly (CKD) of the SUV is slated to begin around October 2019 after plant expansion initiatives at Proton’s Tanjung Malim site are completed.
The national carmaker previously announced it will invest RM1.2 billion to upgrade its Tanjung Malim facility, which will produce the X70 and next-generation Proton models. Set to be completed by March 2019, the plant will have a capacity of 150,000 annually.
Abdul Rashid Musa said that Proton could sell as many X70 CBU units as allowed under approved permits while the Tanjung Malim facility is being prepared to X70 CKD production.